Tuesday 21 May 2013

Dip Disaster and another stage in Infantry painting.

I have spent a frustrating night re-highlighting one hundred and thirty Infantry after a near disaster with Army Painter Strong Tone Dip,
I have always painted my infantry by base coating, brushing on Dip then Matt varnishing. But today with haste to get a load of infantry ready for picture taking this blog post (Well you have to get photos in good light don't you?) I neglected to leave the Dip layer to harden properly before brushing on Vallejo Matt varnish. to my horror as the varnish dried small scaly areas began to appear before my eyes in prominent areas of every miniature.
I had  to come up with a plan and luckily the first plan worked - I let the Matt varnish dry completely, then brushed on Army Painter Soft Tone Ink which hid my earlier blunder and to my extreme happiness none of the scales showed through, but each miniature was far too dark for my tastes and the day light had started dulling so I knew that there would be no photo taking today.
I knew what I had to do, so I grabbed my smallest brush and began to highlight the minis all over with the base colours, by the time I had done all 130 it was 2:30 in the morning,
So......I'm off to bed, I'll post pictures of today's (or is it yesterday's) efforts tomorrow (or today) but at least I have a full Russian Infantry Company painted for Kursk.

Happy Painting

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment